Purposeful Kindness” is a fantastic way to nurture and cultivate positive emotions and well-being. Due to restrictions and boundaries set by COVID 19 restrictions, it’s a great time to think a little “outside the box” as previous “acts of kindness” such as holding the door open for someone behind you, may create discomfort and not abide by restriction (allow 6ft distance)
So! Here are 10 ways to incorporate purposeful kindness into your daily life, helping others and helping yourself😊 It’s a win-win!
1. Save a life: Instead of killing the spider you find in your house (or some other insect), take it and put it outside.
2. Smile and say “hello” when you pass people-even if your present state of mind is deep in negativity. No one deserves your negativity-it spreads faster than COVD 19, but so does a smile! (Check out emotional contagion!)
3. Let someone with less groceries at the checkout behind you go ahead.
4. See some garbage lying around on your route? Pick up some garbage when you are out for a walk and put it in the trash (or recycling or compost) instead of walking by it.
5. Listen to someone. Truly, really, really listen-even a stranger. It may be the only person in their lives that day that holds space for them.
6. Instead of picking a nice flower you walk by because you like it, leave it there for others to walk by and enjoy.
7. Compliment someone. But! The key is not on a physical characteristic or attribute. i.e., not “I like your hair cut”, but try complimenting a non-physical attribute such as a strength, an act of courage, i.e. “I really admire how you handled….”
8. Offer help and support: This one may not seem unique, but many people do not feel comfortable asking for help, even if they need it. And in turn, we often “impose” our help.
So, try asking, “How can I best support you?”
9. Give something to someone that you value but that you may not have (the theory behind this being that what you give out, will come back to you). I am not talking material goods. I am talking something like nurturance or compassion. Feeling unappreciated? Appreciate someone.
10. Forgive someone.
11. Let’s end nice and easy here-some of these are deep.
Water a plant.
Have a great week!